Sunday, January 5, 2014

Southwestern Chicken Primevera

Today I decided to try a easy recipe that I found here:
http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/meal-ideas/5-healthy-and-affordable-dinner-recipes

I wanted to be able to make something fast because I knew that we would all be hungry after church and would want to eat lunch as soon as possible. This meal seemed to like the one to do that. I didn't have to worry about cooking the chicken because we had some canned chicken in our pantry thanks to my lovely mother in law.

The Southwestern Chicken Primevera seemed to be a partial success. Everyone ate it without too much complaint, but my husband and I both felt that there was a little bit of flavor missing. Our daughter ate it, but she ate slowly. She is not a fan of corn, so she tried to eat around the corn.

As soon as we got home from church, I started gathering the ingredients. Instead of using the can of diced tomatoes, we diced our own. Since I have other recipes that need tomatoes this week, I was not able to use as many tomatoes as I wanted. this meant the tomato presence was very light. Everything else I used pretty much as directed. As always, my son insisted that he was hungry and needed to be fed first. My husband wanted to wait until we were done, so we could eat as a family. This meant that the food sat on warm for another 30 minutes before we sat down to eat.

Here is a picture of the food before adding chicken and pasta:


Now here is the final product: (We added the lime and cilantro on our individual plates, so that is not pictured)

This is a recipe I would try again. I want to try it using the exact ingredients, such as the can of diced tomatoes, because the juice in the canned tomatoes might add to the flavor or texture. Also, the recipe calls for seasonings but doesn't give any idea what type to use, so I used regular salt and pepper. I think I would play around with the seasonings and try to get a better flavor. This recipe seems like a really good one with grains and vegetables, so I would like to perfect it a little more, and see if I can get that missing flavor.


No comments:

Post a Comment